how to improve your self-care routine.
**a special guest post from our dear friend ceci mora**
Too often we think that we need somebody in order to love and appreciate ourselves.
Too often we think that we need to reach a certain weight in order to fit in and be liked.
But here's a little reminder that our worth and self-love is not determined by any of those things, so if you're searching for someone to change your life in a positive way, take a look in the mirror and look at the only human being that will forever and unconditionally be on your side forever. Yourself.
We don't need a Monday or a New Years Resolution to achieve our goals, and yes, there will be detours that will lead to an unexpected path, different from what you planned but in the end, it will work out, because that's life, it's a roller coaster of emotions and experiences, you'll love, cry, hurt, laugh, learn and experience a lot of setbacks and that's when you experience personal growth.
Human beings are flawed, full of emotions and thoughts, and thanks to that we have the unique possibility to improve ourselves and evolve but in order to be our best self, we have to take care and love ourselves.
I believe that self-love and self-care looks a bit different for everyone, but there are a few things, that all of us can try out to practice a bit more self- love/care.
I like to divide it into three different sections the physical, mental and emotional part since those are the three things that have the biggest influence on our thoughts and behaviours.
Pampering yourself on a Sunday is something most of us like to do but it won't lead to huge improvements such as exercise and a healthy nutrition would, and yes, I know that you would probably prefer to be a bit of a lazy couch potato on a Sunday, but trust me, you'll feel so much better afterwards and you can always find something fun to do to get your body moving, you don't have to go to the gym and have a tough workout session.
So here are a few ideas:
- Put on some loud music in your room and start dancing around
- If you practice Yoga, take out your mat and give your body a 5-10 min stretch or do your favourite Yoga flow
- Go for a walk while listening to a podcast
- Re-organize and clean your apartment (it might not be your favourite activity, but you get your body moving and you end up with a nice clean space, sounds like a win-win to me ;) )
- Mental self-care to me means being in touch with your values and what matters to you, which is a very personal and individual thing but it's important that we all invest some time in it.
nourish your body.
- I know that sometimes we like to indulge on some less nutritious food, which is absolutely fine but the most important thing is to do that without showering ourselves with guilt or compensating it with overexercising the next day.
- Write down your thoughts, affirmations and intentions of things you would like to achieve, that way, you get to de-stress a bit and work on your future goals at the same time.
- Meditation is definitely not an easy task to master but I find it a very helpful way to start or end the day with good intentions.
- Read a book, which is something that nowadays seems so difficult to find time for, but I'm sure that if you put your phone on silent and dedicate 5-10 minutes to it down and read a book.
get out of your comfort zone.
- Challenge yourself and do something that you kept avoiding, you'll feel so empowered after conquering even something small that scares you.
- Our emotions are energy in motion and they are not truly part of us but we're more like the spectator of that manifestation and it's up to us to decide whether or not it will have an influence on us.
law of attraction.
- Practising and believing in the law of attraction, improved my life in so many ways, I have become a lot more positive and i started attracting things that I wanted into my life. (Watch 'The Secret ' if you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend it)
listen to your body.
- Listening to your body can be quite a challenge, but if you practice that, you'll become more and more in tune with your body and you'll be able to give it what it needs at all times.
allow yourself mistakes.
- We have this misconception of having to be perfect because of what we see and surround ourselves with on a daily basis, but it's so important that as human beings, we'll never be perfect. That's a good thing if you think about it, because otherwise we would not evolve nor would we experience growth but rather experience stagnancy leaving us without space for improvement and learning. Therefore be kind to yourself and learn from your mistakes, rather than punishing yourself with negative thoughts.
These are a few self-care/love tips that I started to incorporate over time in my daily life.
You don't need the weekend to finally start taking care of yourself, it's something that we have to practice every single day in order to improve our life on a daily basis and get closer and closer to our intentions/goals.